6.30.2006

DAS SCHMEKT SEHR GUT IN MEINEN MUND

Before I lose the chance to do this, I want to mention last weekend. I’ve wanted to write a blog about it for days now, and I just never got around to doing it. By this time tomorrow, I will be without a computer. It is being taken away from me. I’ve spent the last day or two looking for a new one so I haven’t had time to write.

Last weekend (06.23-06.25) was a good weekend. Good food, good drink, good fun, and good people.

First off, Friday. A new friend of mine, Melanie, had a small soirée at her parents’ house which began as five of us hanging out with a few drinks and some card games. I also got to meet Angie (whose last name I can’t remember), who turned out to be much cooler than I imagined. I didn’t realize upon meeting her that she was as big a nerd as she turned out to be. It was very refreshing to hear a girl talk about The Legend of Zelda as passionately as myself. I was quite disappointed to find out though that she did not have any idea what the Nintendo Wii was. Angie, get on 1UP.com and check that shit out.

As the evening progressed, a few of us headed inside. After several drunken threesomes involving mostly Melanie, Lindsey, and Angie, that Jesse and I were privileged enough to witness, the party became more exclusive. Lindsey showed me the movie Love, Actually, which I happened to actually love. Great cast, the acting is brilliant, and the stories are funny and charming. While it’s a love story, it’s not a chick flick. I highly recommend it. It has fucking Liam Neeson in it. What more do you need? We lay around, drank wine, and watched movies, among other things. I also recommend Illinois Cellars wine. The kinds available are an apple wine and a rose wine. The Rose wine is delicious. We drank a bottle and a half between the two of us, plus beer (all Lindsey…I can’t fucking stand beer), and a lot of shots. A very good night, it was, as you can imagine.

On to Saturday. While we’re on the subject of wine, I will warn you against getting a brand called Twin Fin. I only got it because it sounded like Tin Fins (Sealab 2021 fans know what the fuck I’m talking about) and because Dierberg’s doesn’t carry the aforementioned Illinois Cellars. The Twin Fin pinot is fucking awful.

But do you know what isn’t awful? Next time someone you know has a BBQ, buy a dozen Krispy Kreme glazed donuts. When your burgers are done, slice a donut in half down the middle, like a bagel. Set the slices glaze up on the grill and toast them slightly. Set your burger on top of one slice, cover with cheese (sharp cheddar is good, I imagine American would work too), and set the other slice on the burger, glaze down. Enjoy. Condiments are optional. Jesse’s burgers were always good enough to kill for, but stuck between a Krispy Kreme donut, they were to die for. Delicious. Patrick and I are now heroes of Jesse’s BBQs.

Food at Jesse and Andy’s is always superb. Saturday, there were the standard burgers and dogs, but Jesse decided to host a pot luck BBQ this time. I was happy to make my grandmother Lorraine’s spaghetti recipe for the first time ever. It seemed to be a hit. People who had had it before said I did a good job with the recipe and those who were new to it loved it too. I was happy to spread the love.

I ended up at Melanie’s parents’ place again later that night and stayed into Sunday.

The next morning, Lindsey and I awoke with a craving for bacon and eggs. After a trip up to Schnuck’s, we made a small but very satisfying breakfast of over-medium egg sangwiches and a pound of bacon. I’ve never tried over-medium eggs before. Hell, I’d never heard of over-medium eggs before. Lindsey made them very well. They were delicious. I made the bacon and it was similarly delicious, if not more so. While we were shopping and cooking, Jesse and Melanie showed up from staying over at Jesse’s. All that day the four of us hung out, watching movies. I am happy to say that there are now two more converts to the Nachitsu Clan. Lindsey and Melanie were forced to watch Nacho Warriors vs. The Wolfman (for those who don’t know, this is one of many very low-budget silly movies that my friends and I have put together over the years), and they loved it. But really, who the fuck wouldn’t?

Later on that evening, we all got a hankering for homemade tacos. Jesse and I went back to Schnuck’s and got stuff to make them. Lindsey mostly cooked mainly because I have no idea how to cook anything. I think I stirred the hamburger a few times. We all four ate and watched Seven. Again, it was delicious. While sitting at the dinner table, Daddy reached over and hit Mommy in the face. I cried.

There was a literal ass-load of good food last weekend. And a lot of good eating. And a lot of fun. I feel like a true American, indulgently gorging the way I did. I may have smoked a bit too much, but doesn’t that make me a true American too? Fuck yeah, it does!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home